Thursday, November 16, 2006

Be Good Tanyas Concert

I went to see the Be Good Tanyas last night at Basingstoke with Tim, my dad and Christine (my dad's wife). It was a very civilised event. Two glasses of red vino, a comfortable all seated venu, no argy bargy, and a couple of packets of sweeties. All very nice.

Kathryn Williams, supporting act, was also 'very nice' but I thought her material was a bit lightweight. One number which I thought was excellent - I think it was called Fat Men and Thin Girls - lifted the act which generally I found a bit treacly. Her best note was her final note and I thought, "now why couldnt we have had more of that".

The Be good Tanyas were good but overall I think they could have been better. Around 85% of their set was from their new album which I havent bought yet and I was disappointed not to hear more of their old tunes - particularly those off the Blue Horse album. Their sound is still as distinctive as ever and their voices very harmonious but I personally felt pretty disconnected from their material. I will just have to go out and buy the new album so that next time, I can sing along a bit :o)

Oh well, no more gigs for a while. Having said that Tim is learning to play Lucinda Williams on his guitar so we're gonna have a gig of our own on Saturday night with me on lead vocals - cats are gonna love that and dog will probably howl to the moon all evening but hey ho :o)

No comments: