Wednesday, November 15, 2006

TV: A Child Against all Odds


I watched the BBC's A Child Against All Odds last night. It was subtitled 'Choosing Children' and dealt with the controversial issue of embryo selection to avoid genetic disease and for sex selection. The programme followed three couples; two who wanted to screen out genetic disorders and one who wanted to have a baby girl and therefore screen out male embryos.

The motives of the two couples who were screening out genetic disorders were unquestionable. I would do exactly the same myself in their circumstances. However, the couple who were screening to have a girl, I could have ranted at all night. They already had four gorgeous boys and should have counted their blessings. Instead she wanted to make her "little family complete" and to have "barbie dolls" rather than just racing cars in the house. Cruel as it sounds, I felt little sympathy for her when she got a BFN. She had no understanding of what it was to be infertile and was worlds apart from the typical couple who NEED IVF - couples like myself and Tim who craved a child (whatever sex) at whatever price to hold in our arms.

I am not against IVF and genetic screening. I do believe however that IVF should be used solely for those who genuinely need it due to infertility or to screen out genetic disorders. I also believe it should be more readily available on the NHS. I do not agree that it should be available to create babies to order; male, female, blue eyes, blond hair, above average intelligence, fat, thin - who knows where it could end.

(pictured above: my beautiful girls, Scarlet (left) and Phoebe (right) born following a single course of IVF)

No comments: